Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stona Free


At Ransom Notes I'm spreading the gospel of Don Winslow. His new one Savages could well be the one that fills the Winslow bandwagon to capacity. I've been a fan since The Death and Life of Bobby Z of his fast paced books, but they've not all been scores for me. Savages is one of the best though. Supposedly, Oliver Stone is sniffing around this one, but before he mounts, I'd like Mr. Ponderous to take another pass at it and perhaps giggle a bit. The Winslow/Stone hybrid is a bit difficult to imagine as successful, likewise the Winslow/Michael Mann combo that's supposed to be bringing The Winter of Frankie Machine to life. Tho, I'd wager more on the Mann project being a good film - it's not a team-up I'd dream up.

Also out today is The Rabid Child by Pete Risley for those of you who need a good whiff of dank with your dark. And staying in the oh-no-he-didn't vein, Matthew Stoeke has a new one too, The Empty Mile. And speaking of independent publishing, check out this interview with Stona Fitch of Concord Free Press. Radical ideas, sir.

Anybody out there catch Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising on the coasts this week? Waiting for that one a tad eagerly. Not very cool, how much I wanna see it. And after my rant on American crime films a couple weeks ago, the trailer for Ben Affleck's The Town hits the webs. Great cast and I love the premise of workaday bank robbers in Boston, the love story is a question mark. We'll just have to wait and see what becomes of that. And did anybody catch Peter Craig's name in the writing credits of that one? I also see that an adaptation of Craig's Hot Plastic is on its way. Good on you, Pete.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is De Niro still attached to "Machine"? Somehow, even w/ all the method acting and shit, De Niro doing the old school surfing thing? Tough sell.

KJS

jedidiah ayres said...

Still in there as far as I know... Neither Mann or DeNIro has called me to say different

Jon Bassoff said...

Thanks for the mention of Rabid Child, Jed. Maybe more gothic than crime fiction--it disturbed the hell out of me.

Chris Rhatigan said...

That cover alone has me interested.