Saturday, February 12, 2011

Subterranean Blues

The great Mystery Bookstore in L.A. closed its doors at the end of January. Dammit, now I have no reason to go back to California. That place rocked. Picked up some good shit on my first visit a little over a year ago- spent hours combing the shelves – then last time I dropped in, bumped into Brett Battles hanging around the place. That’s the kind of thing it was – the place you went if you were in town and into “our thing.” First time novelist Aaron Philip Clark had the honor of being one of their final (maybe the last) signing they hosted before shutting the doors and over at Ransom Notes, I'm talking about that book he signed, his debut The Science of Paul from New Pulp Press.

Now I get word that one of my favorite local bookstores in St. Louis may have to close this year. This just blows. Big time. Subterranean Books has been a kick-ass independent on the Delmar Loop for over ten years now and without them I'm afraid the neighborhood might disintegrate into a pile of cellular service stores and chain restaurants. Hell. 

Subterranean has been the official bookstore of Noir at the Bar too. Did I mention that? Soooooo, Scott and I were thinking of ways to help them out and came up with the old tried and true strategy of putting on a show in the old barn, or the literary equivalent – throwing together a book for a good cause.

So here’s the idea – a N@B anthology featuring folks who’ve participated in our tawdry little event over the past couple of years to be sold exclusively through Subterranean Books. Ought to be a cool little collector’s item for anybody who’s attended or wished they could. So far (like in the last two days) we’ve rounded just about everybody up including Derek Nikitas, Dan O’Shea, Laura Benedict, Jonathan Woods, Anthony Neil Smith, Theresa Schwegel, Frank Bill, Matthew McBride, Tim Lane, Malachi Stone, Chris LaTray, Cameron Ashley and Sean Doolittle.

Whatcha think, sound like a good idea? I’ve never put a book together before and God knows I need crazy help with all the commas and shit, so this is me really putting my dick on the chopping block for a just cause. I’ll keep everybody up to speed on the progress of this thing and hopefully when you’re here in September for Bouchercon (except for you, Kieran Shea) you’ll be able to visit Subterranean Books for yourselves.

BTW - you don't have to wait for the N@B book to support Subterranean (or your local independent). By clicking on the book icons on the right side of this screen you'll be directed to a place they're available to purchase and Sex, Thugs & Rock and Roll, Blood, Guts & Whiskey and Surreal South '09 should all be in stock at Subterranean. 

8 comments:

Kieran Shea said...

sure. rub it in why don't you. 'twas the sept. date that did me in....

Unknown said...

I'm all over it, Jed. It's a great idea for a great cause. Let me know when the anthology hits?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Good for you to think of such a relevant way to support a bookstore. Happy to buy one when it surfaces.

Paul D Brazill said...

I think people would pay good money to see you put you dick on the chopping block. The books a good idea, too.

Kelly said...

Yay. LOVE It. Thanks thanks thanks.

Chris Rhatigan said...

Phenomenal idea! Sounds like a killer collection.

Michelle Seymour said...

I can't believe Subterranean might go under! That really, really blows. I love the book idea, Jed.

Richard Thomas said...

stoked to be a part of this, see you all on 3/10 and i think i'll be at boucheron so i'll be happy to toss a signature on some books if it'll make any difference