Monday, May 30, 2011

CriMemoir

Okay, I'm going to exploit the hell out of this quote from Anthony Neil Smith, "St. Louis is becoming the hub of neo-noir in the country." (sorry, it's not Cape Cod... c'mon Johnny Temple). What's he referring to? He's talkin' 'bout Noir at the Bar of course. Well our tawdry little event and also Adam Wangler's Pitch Black Noir, a short documentary featuring Malachi Stone, Scott Phillips, Matthew McBride and myself and shot in part at that last N@B event. Check it out to see footage of Mr. Smith's reading. Look closely and you'll see Kyle Minor and Rod Norman in there too. Now, if that don't get yur nethers bothered for our June 11 event with Aaron Michael Morales, Fred Venturini, Frank Bill and John Hornor Jacobs, well, maybe this thing between us just isn't working out. It's not me, it's you. Getting close on the N@B anthology too. Matt Kindt and Tim Lane are putting together some graphic awesomeness for it.

Moving on from that personal horn-toot to this one, Crime Factory 6 is out and features Eric Beetner, John Mantooth, Angela Savage, The Nerd of Noir, Libby Cudmore, Andrew Nette, Tony Black, Graham Bowlin, Mike Sheeter, Tom Larson, Sean May, Nigel Bird, Scott Miles, John M. Radosta and Douglas Sullivan. Oh and it also features a non-fiction piece by me about a knifing at a Burger King, an event that I don't believe I've ever discussed before. It's a sub-genre I'm tagging CriMemoir and I'm officially putting out the call: I want your personal stories of crime however you've experienced it (as a perp, as a victim, as a bystander, as collateral damage, as a reporter). Go read My Semi-Dark Places and you'll see - I don't need the world to end in these pieces, but I'm interested in the ways our brushes with transgression have effected us. And like any memoir piece, the strict factuality of the events is not the point. My mom's always asking me where my 'dark side' came from... this is a little example.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Here?

Anonymous said...

Just feels like either St. Louis has got it made, or everyone can get there within half a day, or something. It's not a "cozy" city. Maybe it's got hipster cred, but the when *the* hipster bookstore in town embraces noir, you know there's something happening. Something so bad it's good.

-ANS

jedidiah ayres said...

Patti - yeah, I want to run the CriMemoir series here.

Neil - I'll take it however you meant it. WTF, Akashic?

jedidiah ayres said...

but, Patti, yeah - EMAIL them to me. Don't POST them in the comment section...

If that's what you're asking