Tuesday, October 4, 2011

On the Money

Over at Ransom Notes, I'm talking 'bout Christa Faust's latest, sawed-off, hardboiled, pump-action, pulp-shooter Choke Hold. Really dug it. Reminded me of the reasons I like Anthony Neil Smith's Billy Lafitte books - real characters in really fucked up situations, responding in emotionally honest ways to wild-ass shit. That, plus they're series books that don't feel like series books. Yes, there's a benefit to reading the preceding books, but they stand on their own and are not at all a retread of the first.

Have you not read Faust? Tell you what, leave a comment on this post and you'll be entered to win a copy of the first of her Angel Dare books, Money Shot. I'll choose a winner on Friday.

Picked up my ticket for the October 21 Daniel Woodrell event in St. Louis. Yup, you'll need a ticket to get into the COCA auditorium for Q&A and screening of the film Winter's Bone. Tickets are $25, ($30 for couples) and will include a copy of his brand new book, The Outlaw Album. So, yeah, pick up your ticket from Subterranean Books asap.

While you're at Subterranean, go ahead and pick up a copy of Noir at the Bar - it's good for you.

8 comments:

Dave said...

i've been looking forward to choke hold for a while. christa rocks

C.J. said...

Very much looking forward to reading Money Shot!

Don Lee said...

I enjoyed the piece on CHOKE HOLD. I've enjoyed everything I've read of Christa Faust's, including MONEY SHOT and the vastly underappreciated HOODTOWN, which also deserves a sequel!!

dman4227 said...

I am looking forward to the new release. Its been a bit since I read Money Shot and would like my own copy to read.

Pete said...

Never read her before. Dish thoes sloppy joes my way...I like em extra sloppy.

Ray Garraty said...

Ms. Faust, by the way, has also good sense of humor.

Ben said...

Me. You should give it to me.

jedidiah ayres said...

And MONEY SHOT goes to.......

CJ!!!!

Hey, CJ - send me an email w/ your land address and I'll get that out to you asap.

Thanks everybody for participatin. Tell you what, Dave, Don, Dman, Pete, Ray, Ben - you want a DIFFERENT Hardcase title? Send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Find my email address by clicking my profile on the right hand side of the main screen.

I'm having issues w/ my computer, so it may be a couple days before I get back to you