Thursday, February 1, 2018

Les Féroces

Taking a break from re-capping the movies I watched last year for just a minute. I'm excited to announce that Les Féroces the french language edition of Fierce Bitches will be out in the fall and features this badass cover very much of a piece with all the titles in the new line Equinox from Les Arènes .

Happy too to share space in the line-up with another middle-American author Patrick Michael Finn whose 2008 novella A Martyr for Suzy Kosasovich will be released as Ceci est mon corps (This is My Body). France and the French have been good to a bunch of my new-world black novel brethren (including my Broken River Books pals William Boyle and J. David Osborne) and I'm just happy to be invited to the party. Also in the announced Equinox line: DOA, Dominique Manotti, Patrick Delperdange, Sylvain Kermici, Benoît Philippon, and Thomas Sands.

Also wanted to point out that a few years ago when I was writing for another book blog I did a piece about Edward Bunker and other incarcerated or formerly incarcerated American writers. It doesn't exist anymore, but in it I mentioned Seth Ferranti as a contemporary (no longer incarcerated!) author to pay attention to. How cool then to this week see this pieceiece by Seth Ferranti about Edward Bunker up at Penthouse? And, heh, I get an attributed quote or two to boot.

Just read What We Reckon by Eryk Pruitt who continues to impress me with both his writing chops as well as his story telling ambition in general. You want a quick treat? Check out this video of Eryk telling his 2017 Hippo Award nominated true story live and see why he's joined the ranks of N@B do-not-follow readers like Johnny Shaw and Matthew McBride.

Not only can Eryk tell a good story, he can spot 'em too. He's the fella who recommended I check out Chris Baugh's Bad Day For the Cut now streaming on Netflix and holee crap, am I glad I did. It's a strong, early contender for year-end honors around these parts.

I'm happy to see a bunch of you are catching up with last year's Brawl in Cell Block 99. I've watched it a couple times now and I still feel like there's more to unpack from it while it remains a viscerally entertaining flick. Next week I'll be publishing an interview I did with writer/director S. Craig Zahler interview here, so stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, read a book, watch a flick. Have a good week.

No comments: